For some reason, I associate Wembley Stadium very much with the Spice Girls (go figure – I think this DVD might have had something to do with it).
So yesterday, when I got to see One Direction perform at the stadium, I could practically hear myself telling my future children about that time when I lived in London when I saw 1D at Wembley (along with Jason Derulo, Pitbull, Flo Rida, Kelly Clarkson and many more massively talented performers at the Summertime Ball). Because in some twisted Elizabeth logic, it’s a pretty big deal and essentially the equivalent of having seen someone as huge as the Spice Girls or Elton John. Yes, that’s my logic.
So given that I’m now 2 months in (!), I feel like it’s about time I sorted out my ‘British Bucket List’ – i.e. all the things I want to do and places I want to see before my time is up here. Note I am calling it my British Bucket List despite the fact that not everything is British because I am a firm believer in alliteration.
This list is inevitably going to grow, but let’s get started with the basic, most obvious and important items:
- Spot a celebrity in their natural habitat: Jude Law or Emma Watson will do. I’m not picky. Goes without saying, but someone from Made in Chelsea doesn’t count.
- Live out a childhood dream: visiting the Harry Potter studios is first on the list.
- Pay homage to Jane Austen: I mean visiting Bath, not finding Mr. Darcy. Not that I’d say no to the latter.
- Pretend I have Hugh Grant chasing after me to Gimme Some Lovin’: and by that I mean, tea at The Ritz.
- Visit Henry VIII’s humble abode: to make the most of the limited historical knowledge I took away with me from high school.
- A new adventure every month: I’ve made a commitment to myself that at least once a month, I will go somewhere new. It can be down the street, a few hours on the train or via plane: as long as it’s new. Which leads nicely to the next (sub) points…
- Get out of town: Literally. I’m talking Bristol, Cornwall, Brighton…just to name a few.
- Get out of the country: Finland, Belgium, Switzerland, Iceland, Spain, Italy, Greek Islands, Côte d’Azur….that’ll do to start with.
So much to do and so little time…please share your thoughts and additions in the comments.